December 15, 2020.
If your carpet is looking worse for wear, then getting it shampooed and treated by a carpet cleaning company is not enough. You may be dealing with unseen enemies that could potentially damage your property and harm your health. Without your knowledge, carpet beetles, molds, mildew, and other yucky germs could be crawling underneath your carpet padding next to the floorboards. What a nightmare! In this instance, you need more than carpet cleaning but total carpet removal.
Common Gunk that Warrants Carpet Removal
At Jiffy Junk, we can honestly attest that most people neglect the offensive stuff that remains quiet and undetected on the floor. But remember, with years of use, your old carpet is the perfect breeding ground for dust mites, bacteria, parasites, and so much more. Imagine the amount of skin a person sheds every single day and picture the majority of that skin shedding on your carpet. Add to that; there’s human hair, pet coating, spilled drinks, food particles, contents of a diaper explosion, and even pet excrement.
The most well-known hideous carpet pests are the carpet beetles and dust mites. They can wreak havoc on your property. And I’m sorry to say, these bugs don’t just stay on the carpet. These are their favorite hideouts:
- Congregating around carpet edges
- Hiding in your door casings
- Breeding within and underneath upholstered furniture
- Multiplying underneath baseboards
- Growing in slippers, blankies, throw pillows, rugs, and other soft materials
Can you imagine cohabiting with these creepy crawlies? Just imagine what they can do while you’re asleep! Carpet cleaning may not be enough when you’ve got a vicious infestation. Carpet removal is the only answer to your pressing problems.
Be Vigilant in Spotting Pest Infestations
Carpet beetles and dust mites hold the tag of being the primary pests that infiltrate your floor. They spot food even in the most obscure places, making it one of the most difficult indoor pests to manage. These critters feast on dander, wool, fur silk, feathers, etc. They love both plant and animal byproducts. Beetles also crave man-made fibers that contain your sweat, food stains, animal hair, and the like. They also eat cereals, grains, spices, and they don’t. Hence, these larvae can damage not just your carpet but your furniture and clothing too.
On the other hand, dust mites are microscopic arthropods. Although they don’t directly bite you, they can trigger your allergies and an asthma flare up when they lurk in your carpet. These creatures resemble tiny bed bugs. Shudder! Though they don’t leave skin bites, they can cause nasty rashes and irritation. If you constantly sneeze and suffer post nasal drip while in contact with your carpet, these bugs could be the culprit.
You may be thinking that you want immediate carpet removal now! After all, who wants to walk around barefoot or sit on the floor with these pesky nuisances on your carpet? The yellow or reddish-brown beetles are quite tiny, measuring only a bit larger than a pinhead. You may not even spot their oval bodies crawling or flying around your house. The same goes for microscopic dust mites. Luckily for you, there are nifty clues that suggest an infestation.
Watch out for the following Clues:
- Fecal deposit
- Shed bug skin
- Noting holes in your carpet
- Look for chewed holes in clothing and other items
- Continuous allergy symptoms like watery eyes, sneezing, runny nose, hives, etc.
- Unexplained skin rashes
There are three ways to treat a bug infestation in your property. You can try a non-chemical treatment approach if you feel like the problem is not severe. Another method is more invasive chemical treatment. However, this may pose a health hazard to you and your family, so think twice. Of course, the other option that could really give you peace of mind is total carpet removal. Take a look at each method below:
Non-Chemical Carpet Treatment
If you don’t want to deal with harsh insecticides, then you have to clean your house inside and out painstakingly. Noteworthy, dust mites have a short life span, and you can remove them with constant cleaning, wet mopping, vacuuming, and the like. Carpet beetles, however, require more attention. Please be vigilant with the following steps to ensure efficacy: Take note of the following:
- Sanitize your entire house by vacuuming all carpets, upholstered furniture, and other items covered with fabric.
- Repeat this process every single day for a minimum of one week.
- If you suspect severe infestation in your carpets and upholstery, go for a deep steam-cleaning.
- Check clothes and toss out garments that show signs of infestation.
- Be diligent in looking out for these pests because leaving one behind can mean re-infestation.
Keep in mind; insecticides don’t work on dust mites. These arthropods have a short life span. Though they are hard to contend with, frequent carpet washing, vacuuming, and dusting shelves will eradicate them. But don’t forget to pay attention to your linen, stuffed toys, pillows, clothes, and the like because these are also a breeding ground for these microscopic critters.
Chemical Carpet Treatment
Though thorough cleaning for at least a week can help control carpet beetles, you don’t have a choice but to treat some items chemically. These include areas or items that can’t be vacuumed, laundered, or thoroughly cleaned. If you intend to DIY, choose an insecticide that includes carpet beetles.
Be sure to wear gloves, protective goggles, and a nose mask so you won’t feel the adverse effects of the chemicals. Make sure pets and other family members are not at home. Then you can be spot treating areas. Don’t forget underneath your upholstered furniture, carpet covering edges, baseboards, and rugs.
You must also include closet walls and other storage areas where you can find infested clothes and other fabrics. Spray crevices and cracks, especially in areas where there’s lint accumulation. Refrain from spraying directly on bedding and clothes. For the attic and others hard to reach spots, try boric acid.
If all else fails, call a professional exterminator to do intensive fumigation to get rid of the infestation. When you opt for this professional treatment method, you can get rid of dust mites, carpet beetles, ants, cockroaches, wood borers, and other pesky bugs in one go!
Do take note, if you are taking the DIY route, there are a few things you must consider before you start spraying.
Think Before You Spray:
- Do not apply highly flammable spray near open flames, sparks, or other electric circuits.
- If you have linoleum covering for shelves and other areas, spray a tiny dot in an obscure location, then check if it will cause discoloration or stains.
- Keep your garments and linen away from the spray. Do note that it is best to store off-season clothes in sealed bags or bins to prevent exposure. After spraying, make it a habit to open your closet doors and drawers for some sunlight and air exposure to prevent pest infestation.
- Leave your precious Persian and Oriental accent rugs to qualified professionals because you can stain or destroy them.
Carpet Removal Method
You don’t have to cohabit with carpet beetles and other pests. Unfortunately, paying for pest control services costs a lot of money. They will help you determine where the pests come from, while effectively getting rid of them too. Unfortunately, the fumigation process can be quite tedious.
You and your family will need to vacate the premises for several days. You also risk contaminating all your furniture, clothes, appliances, and other exposed areas when they release the chemicals. As such, you need to properly seal off important stuff like your plates, cups, cutlery, clothes, and the like.
Instead of dealing with these harmful substances, why not consider a full carpet removal? Ask around for a quote, and you may be surprised that this service will come off as cheaper. You can expose your original flooring or opt for more maintenance-free tiles or laminates instead.
Many homeowners say that carpet removal is a great investment. For one thing, you take out the perfect stomping ground of dust mites, carpet beetles, and other pests. Get rid of an old, decrepit-looking piece that brings down your home’s value. Moreover, this method is affordable and swift, so you can rest assured that there are no long downtimes, unlike complete home fumigation.
Carpet Cleaning is not enough because it just cleans the superficial layer. It does not dive deep and clean beneath the surface. And this is where it matters because the underside of your carpet that sticks to the floorboards tells the real score. Imagine mildew, dust mites, germs, bacteria, rotting food, etc. Will you be satisfied with a mere shampoo, vacuum, and simple treatment? We don’t think so! Carpet removal is the only way to get truly clean floors that look and feel fresh.
What to Do To Prevent Further Bugs and Dust Infestation
Whether you choose carpet removal and replacement or a deep cleaning by a pro, you need to be vigilant about maintaining a home hygiene routine to prevent creepy crawlies and dust from coming back. Prevention is key when it comes to avoiding dust mites, carpet beetles, ants, cockroaches, and the like.
Habits to Keep Your Home Squeaky Clean:
- Vacuum all areas as often as you can, using a HEPA-filter. If possible, make it at least three times a week.
- Deep clean your carpet and all areas at least once a week.
- Dust your home regularly, once or twice a week, especially if you have allergies. Include blinds, underneath furniture, and other smaller areas where dust mites like to gather.
- Wash your linens and stuffed animals with warm water once a week.
- Be vigilant in keeping the humidity of your property to below 50%. This climate deters dust mites and bugs because they prefer hot and wet areas.
- Use an allergen-capturing filter in your HVAC vents and even vacuum to ensure that dust mites, bugs, shed skin, and fecal matter are all captured.
- Use a zippered mattress and pillow cover that deters dust mites from settling into them.
- Teach your kids not to walk around with their food and drinks to minimize spills.
- Train your pets to do their business in proper areas (the cat litter for felines and outdoors for dogs)
- Make it a habit not to bring dirty shoes indoors, so keep your home slippers on standby.
As you can see, cleaning your carpet is not just about keeping the floors clean. It is maintaining the cleanliness of your whole house. Why? Because everything that you do affects your flooring. After all, it serves as a catch basin for every little thing that happens in your property. If you opt for carpet removal and replacement, you need to step up your cleaning game to prevent the recurrence of pests, dust, mold, and mildew.
Final Wrap Up
Your carpet is one of the make or break elements of any interior space. Apart from the design aspect, carpets are fully functional home decor which serves as insulation and noise prevention. If your carpets cover a lot of surface area, that means there are more places for dust mites, carpet beetles, and other pests to get logged in. The last thing you need for your home is a pest infestation. As such, you need to be vigilant in maintaining your home clean to ensure that your carpet removal and replacement investment is not wasted.
Most importantly, carpets, especially those in living areas, are a family and friend bonding place. It is common for people to sit and hang out on the floor, so make sure that this part is truly clean and free from pests. Like everything else, carpets are subject to wear and tear. Securing your carpet with regular cleaning, pest control, and maintenance ensures the safety of your loved ones and yourself. Keep family moments fun and clean by maintaining your carpets. If you need help, reach out to us at Jiffy Junk and we’d love to help you sort everything out.